Are you or a family member the victim of a drunk driver who went bar-hopping before driving intoxicated? Were you assaulted as a bystander by a drunk patron in a bar fight or a brawl outside a tavern? In addition to claiming compensation from the “intoxicated” person, you also have a right to sue the bar under what are called “dram shop” laws.  The New York liquor accident attorneys at the Law Office of Risman & Risman, P.C. have over a decades worth of experience in litigating “dram shop” cases in New York.

New York law provides a remedy for people injured as a result of the negligent providing of alcohol. New York General Obligations Law § 11-100 and § 11-101 read in tandem with New York Alcoholic Beverage Control Law § 65 comprise New York’s Dram Shop Act. Section 11-100 provides a cause of action against “any person who knowingly causes such intoxication or impairment of ability by unlawfully furnishing to or unlawfully assisting in procuring alcoholic beverages for such person with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that such person was under the age of twenty-one years.” Section 11-101 provides a cause of action against any person who unlawfully sold or assisted in procuring liquor for such intoxicated person and caused or contributed to such intoxication. The unlawful conduct set forth in §11-100 and § 11-101 is defined in New York Alcoholic Beverage Control Law § 65, which provides that “no person shall sell, deliver or give away or cause or permit or procured to be sold, delivered or given away any alcoholic beverages to (1) Any person, actually or apparently, under twenty-one years and (2) Any visibly intoxicated person.”

Our attorneys understand the complexities of these cases, and are familiar with the procedural and processes involved. Please contact us in the unfortunate incident that you were involved in such an accident so we can pursue these wrongdoers to the fullest extent of the law in New York.

The liquor accident attorneys at the Law Office of Risman & Risman, P.C. are eager to help and discuss your concerns with you. There is no charge for the consultation. Please feel free to call us at (212) 233-6400 or contact us online.

Scroll to Top